Friday, April 20, 2007

Chapter 10

Leana let Richie lead her into the house and up to his room. He pulled back the covers on the bed, “get in.” She did as she was told, snuggling down into the huge king-sized bed. She watched as he went into the bathroom and closed the door. She was almost asleep when he came back in the room. She watched as he climbed into to the other side of the bed. “What are you doing?” “Isn’t it obvious?” “Richie…” “What, I told you I would behave, and why should I sleep on the couch when the bed is more than big enough for the both of us?” She was too tired to argue, “I guess, just make sure you keep your hands to yourself and stay over there.” She pointed to the far side of the bed. He turned off the light and reached for her hand under the blankets. He laced his fingers with hers and pulled her hand to his lips for a kiss. “This way we can both be sure to behave.”

Leana heard his breathing even out and she knew he had fallen asleep. She lay there, trying to figure out how this had happened. Yesterday she was trying to decide how to decorate her new home and tonight she was in Richie’s bed. I must be nuts she thought just before she drifted off.

The morning sunlight teased Leana awake. She blinked her eyes open and tried to remember where she was. She couldn’t remember the last time she had slept so soundly. She moved to stretch and realized that she was pinned under a heavy arm. She turned her head and saw Richie’s dark head on the pillow next to her. Oh my God. I wasn’t dreaming. Shit. She eased herself out of the bed and went to the bathroom. She splashed some water on her face and pulled her hair back. I must be out of my mind. What was I thinking? she thought as she looked at herself in the mirror. “Nothing to do now but face the music” she said as she went back into the bedroom. Richie was still asleep so she turned and left the room.

No comments: