Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Chapter Eight

Leana followed Richie into the kitchen. "What is with you?" Richie frowned, "what are you talking about?" "You haven't said boo out there. Are you all right? Do you want me to go?" Richie set the platter of burgers down on the counter and turned to her. "No I don't want you to leave. I just... damn it, Leana." She looked up into his face and she gasped at what she saw in his eyes. The want, the need that was there left her breathless. He leaned in to kiss her and she turned her head, his lips grazed her cheek. "What, why...?" Leana couldn't think straight. She took a step back, "I think we should get back out there." "Yeah" he agreed "I guess." Rchie picked up the plate and went back outside. Leana took a minute and followed with fresh beers for everyone.

They ate and drank and laughed into the night. Finally after the burgers were gone and many, many beers had been drunk, Leana stood, slightly unsteady. "Well, I should be going." They all looked at her, "aw, come on, its early" Dave whined. "Nope, I'm definitely done for the night. I am going to go and leave you all to your" she rolled her eyes "man talk."

She went around the table to kiss them all. When she got to Richie she put her hand on his shoulder, "thanks for having me, I had a great time." He put his hand up and covered hers with his and brought it to his lips, "any time darlin'." She pulled her hand away and stumbled down the steps. Jon looked over to Richie, nudging him with his foot under the table. "Go after her man, don't let her walk home alone." Richie didn't move.

Jon, Dave and Tico looked at him, all incredulous. Jon finally spoke, "what the hell is the matter with you?" Richie shrugged, "nothing." "Nothing my ass." Jon was irritated with his frined. "You should go after her. Why are you still sitting here with us?" Richie finished his beer before turning to his friends. "I fucked up 20 years ago with her. She doesn't want my company now and I can't say as I blame her." He sat back in his chair thinking about her. She still fit in, still belonged. It was funny how some things really don't change.

Leana walked back to her house, all the while wondering if Richie would come after her. She absently rubbed her hand where he had kissed it, tracing the spot with her finger, still feeling the heat of his lips on her skin. The more she thought about him, the more agitated and confused she got. She shook her head trying to clear her thoughts as she walked into the house and went to get ready for bed.

No comments: