Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Chapter Seven

Jon watched the scene from the kitchen. He couldn't make out her face, but he could appreciate a fine ass and the long denim-clad legs, not to mention the spill of dar wavy hair down her back. Made a man want to get lost in it.

Dave and Tico found Jon in the kitchen looking out the window. With a low whistle Dave asked "who's the babe?" Jon shrugged, "I don't know, but I am going to find out." He moved away from the window, opened the door and stepped out, "hey Rich, I thought it was guys ni...?" Leana turned and Jon stopped and stared. Even with the glasses he knew that face. She had been friends with Dorothea and, in turn, with him before she had met Richie. "Leana?"

Leana smiled and waggled her fingers at him. "Hi Jon." He set his beer down and swung her into a hug. "How the hell have you been babe?" She laughed, "just fine, now put me down!" Richie watched, a wave of jealousy rushing through him. Jon set her down and Dave and Tico followed with hugs of their own. They were all pleasantly surprised to see her.

They sat down at the table that had bowls of snacks waiting. "What has it been" Jon started to ask around a mouth full of chips, "20 years since we saw you last?" Leana had to laugh, "I see you still have no manners and yes, it has been about that, give or take." The guys laughed and Jon proceeded to talk with his mouth full, "I'm a guy, what do you expect?" The laughter flowed around the table, like it always had Leana thought. She looked over at Richie. He had been usually quiet. She wondered what he was thinking. He looked up just then and caught her gaze. It lasted only a second, but the intensity of his eyes on her took her breath and she could feel the heat rush through her, like it had every time he had ever looked at her that way.

"Shit" she muttered. The guys all looked at her, Jon spoke up first, "what's wrong?" Leana flushed, trying to regain her composure. "Did I say that out loud? It's just that my beer is gone and I think I need another." Richie jumped up, "I'll get it. Gotta get the burgers anyway." Leana watched him walk into the house and, after looking around the table got up, "I'll help him."

The guys watched her walk inot the house. "Damn she looks great, but what is up with them?" Dave wanted to know. "Yeah," Tico added. "Rich hasn't said more than two words tonight and that is definitely not like him." Jon took a swig of beer and nodded at both of them. "A lot of shit went down between those two. I just wonder if it isn't bothering him more than he ever let on." Jon filled them in on what had happened, at least as much as he knew. "He didn't talk about her much after they split. He only said that it was over. I always thought they would get back together, but then he met and married Heather." He shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know. I just can't get a read on him about this."

No comments: