Sunday, April 15, 2007

Chapter Four

Richie looked over at her, not sure what to say. So many years had passed, but he hadn't forgotten. Pushed her to the back of his mind, but hadn't forgotten. He found his voice "I've been all right, how about you?" "Oh, there have been some ups and downs, but all in all I can't complain." He nodded and took a sip of hiw wine. "You still look good. Your hair is different though." "No, its the same, I just got over my addiction to aqua net." She smiled remembering her big 80's hair. Richie looked uncomfortable and Leana tried to put him at ease. "Relax Richie, I'm not going to hurt you." He looked over at her again, "you have every right to though." Leana pondered that for a moment. "I know, but I am more mature now than I was then. I have had a lot of time to get over you." She got up and went to the railing, needing to put some space between them. The candlelight flickered over has as she passed.

"Did you?" he asked. He needed to know, "get over me I mean?" "I moved on." She turned back to him, "just like you did." He nodded. She was getting uncomfortable with where this conversation was going. "Look, I'm not ready to go there yet. How about we talk about something else?"

Richie stood and walked over to her. "For now, but we are going to have to talk sometime you know." "I know, just not now." He agreed. Leana took a deep breath to steady herself. "So, are you hungry?" She moved past him and went into the house. Her potatoes were more than done and the steaks were waiting. She picked up the plate and went back outside. "Still like you steak rare?" He laughed as he refilled their glasses. "The bloodier the better." She put them on the grill and went back in and got dishes and silverware. She brought everything outside and the steaks were ready to come off.

Richie sat back and sighed when he finished eating. "You are still a hell of a cook darlin'." Leana smiled, "thanks. Did you ever learn to at least boil water?" He laughed. "Yeah, I can make ice cubes too." Laughing, Leana stood and took their dishes inside. She grabbed the other bottle of wine and stepped back outside.

"So," she started as she refilled their glasses, "I was sorry to hear about your divorce." A pained look came across his face. "Yeah, it sucks." Leana nodded, "I know, I've been there myself." Richie was surprised "Oh?" "Yeah." She didn't explain. "How's Ava handling it?" Richie looked at her, a little wary of sharing details, but she seemed genuinely concerned. "As well as she can I suppose. I see her as much as I can, or rather, as much as Heather will let me." He sounded frustrated. "Problems in that area I take it." "Yeah, but we're working on it."

"Well, enough about my problems" Richie said. "What brought you to LA?" Leana had wondered how long it would take him to ask. "I got divorced last year and my ex is an ass. My boss offered me a transfer and I took it. I figured that a fresh start across the country from the jerk was just what I needed. So, here I am." She glanced up and down the beach. "I didn't realize I moved into your neighborhood though." She had known he lived in LA, but hadn't know exactly where. "Yea, I live just a few houses down, not too far."

They sat in silence for a bit, neither sure what the other was thinking. Richie watched her, studied her was probably more accurate. Aside from the hint of sadness he saw in her eyes, he hadn't changed much. A little leaner in the face and body, the years had been kind to her. He smiled to himself. Leana was getting uncomfortable with him staring at her. "What?" Richie's cheeks reddened. "I was just thinking that I can't believe I didn't recognize you right off. You haven't changed, hardly at all. I think the glasses threw me though." She smiled, "you always were a charmer Rich, but flattery won't get you far with me these days though."

They finished the second bottle of wine while they talked. Richie noticed Leana had startd to shiver, the night air had cooled. "It's late, I should go." Leana nodded and stood, swaying as she did so. Richie caught her. "Whoa, careful there darlin'." He steadied her so she didn't fall. Leana felt her pulse race at his touch and that irritated her. "Hands off Richie, I'm fine." He let his hands fall to his sides. "I just didn't want you to fall." He hung his head and turned to leave. Leana sighed, "Rich, wait." He turned back to her. "I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. I'm sorry." "It's okay." He started down the steps, stopped and turned back. "The guys are coming by tomorrow night to hang out. Do you want to join us? I am sure they would all like to see you." Leana thought for a minute. Did she really want to go back there again? After so many years did she want to involve herself with all of them again? "I don't know Richie. Can I just say maybe?" He wasn't going to beg. "Look, my house is just three down from here. If you decide you want t come, just walk down and join us. Burgers go on the grill at 7." "Thanks, and Richie, it was good to see you again." "You too Leana." He left and she went inside.

1 comment:

The Goddess Hathor said...

Stephanie, loved the chapter. A good mix of wariness, excitement, and regret. I hope Leanna makes the trek up the beach! Looking forward to what's next...